ESL at UMass Dartmouth
The ESL program provides students with the English language and academic skills to succeed in the UMass Dartmouth Navitas Global Student Success Program (GSSP).
The mission of the American Language & Cultures Institute is to promote the development of grammatical accuracy, academic reading and writing skills, listening comprehension, cultural awareness and pronunciation in English. The ALCI at UMass Dartmouth combines preparation for success in a college or university classroom with intensive English study. Students experience a curriculum that focuses on academic study skills, university majors and hands-on coursework. The course plan focuses on academic and social situations, as well as explores topics from the local region, the U.S. and around the world.
One to two semesters
Semester start dates
- a variety of classes and instructors
- student excursions, community involement and travel in New England
- students work close with instructors to create a personalized study plan
- 20-24 hours of classes per week, Monday through Friday
- 1-2 semesters*, 20-24 hours of class per week
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- refer to our entry requirements page for country specifric requirements
English language requirements:
- IELTS 4.5
- TOEFL iBT 49
- Pearson 38
- Successful portfolio review / Successful coursework completion
*Based on placement and with opportunity for second semester, depending on progress.